Authors: Kyle Endres

The second day of the Career Fair will host 65 companies, making for a total of 139 companies offering career and internship opportunities to attending students over the two days of the fair.

The fair started on Wednesday and continues today in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom.

The Career Fair, which was organized by the Career Center, offered students an opportunity to find internships or full-time work with a variety of companies.

“Just meeting people here has given me more leads than I’ve gotten in the past year,” said John Dubois, pursuing a second bachelor of business finance. “People are actually interested in me, which is surprising because I have a liberal arts degree.”

The Career Fair is offered in the fall and spring semesters as a two-day event. An assortment of businesses and non-profit groups attend the event seeking student employees from almost any major.

In addition to the activities of the Career Fair, Target gave the Career Center $5,000 to help with career development at CSU.

“(The donation is a result of) support received from professors and faculty in the career services and the quality of students we’ve been provided with,” said Marinda Love, representative for Target.

The Career Fair is useful for both students and employers, said Lisa Kettler, manager of employment for CCH Tennyson Center for Children and Families.

“It’s a nice opportunity for students, even if they’re not looking for something right away,” Kettler said. “For me, it’s a good networking opportunity.”

The most important things that students get out of attending the fair are experience conversing with employers, a chance to develop professional skills, and knowledge of majors and careers, said Anne Thompson, career counselor at the Career Center.

Trung Dinh, a graduate student in computer science, was impressed that so many companies were offering internships with the current economy being on the decline.

“I see lots of companies with internships, although the economy is not that great,” Dinh said.

It also helps them learn of more career options offered by their major, said Ann Malen, director of the Career Center.

“(The Career Fair) helps broaden (students’) understanding of the huge range of careers that are available with any major,” Malen said.