Authors: Willow Welter

The inauguration of a program designed to explore American values will begin Sept. 23 with a free event at the University of Denver.

John Glenn, former U.S. astronaut and Ohio senator, will join Colorado Governor Bill Owens and others for the opening event of the year-long program, “Bridges to the Future: American History and Values in Light of September 11th.” This event will include performances, lectures, panel discussions, recommended readings, teaching tools and speeches.

CSU President Albert Yates and DU Chancellor Daniel Ritchie constructed Bridges to the Future as a way to involve Coloradoans in discussing the nation’s heritage and significance considering Sept. 11.

“Our goal is to engage communities and people of Colorado in honoring, exploring and renewing our shared commitment to public values,” Yates said.

Confirmed speakers for the opening event include journalist Cokie Roberts, public servant and author William Bennett, along with several other prominent Colorado citizens.

Bridges to the Future will continue throughout the year as a statewide series of events including an essay contest, films, discussions and picnics. Although the inaugural event will take place at DU, upcoming events are scheduled at CSU.

Yates expressed anticipation for the event that will launch the program.

“Coloradans can expect the events of Bridges to the Future to provide challenging and stimulating content throughout the year, and Senator Glenn’s appearance will set the stage for an exciting and important year,” Yates said.

CSU will provide complimentary bus transportation to and from the inaugural event, which will begin on Sept. 23 at 7:30 p.m. at DU’s Ritchie Center, 2201 E. Asbury Ave. Bus transportation is on a first-come, first-served basis and space is limited, said Tom Milligan, director of communications and marketing. In addition to the bus ride, CSU students can attend a free barbecue with representatives from the DU student government.

For reservations and information, contact the Lory Student Center Information Desk at 491-6444, or visit www.bridgestothefuture.us.

September’s Schedule of Events

Thursday, September 19, 2002 at CSU- “Butterfly” Film at 7 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Theater

Monday, September 23, 2002 in Denver- Bridges to the future inaugural event with Governor Bill Owens and Former Senator John Glenn, at 7:30 p.m., Ritchie Center, Denver

Tuesday, September 24, 2002 at CSU- Lecture by John Gluck, Research Fellow, Kennedy Institute of Ethics, Georgetown University at 7:30 p.m. in Eddy building, CSU

Tuesday, September 26, 2002 at CSU- CSU President’s Fall Address and All-University Picnic, at 11:30 a.m. in the Oval, CSU