Authors: Matthew Gallegos

People have asked how I can justify my views, especially Sept.11, the one year anniversary of one of the saddest days in American history.

I say to them that I do not protest the remembrance of those who lost their lives. I also tell them that I have shed many tears for the victims over the last year. But I would also remind them of all the tears, pain and suffering that the United States has inflicted on the innocent of foreign lands since that day.

I also remind them of all the promises that the United States made to Afghanistan during the Russian invasion that now lie broken. And that as soon as the communist threat ended, Afghanistan, still in a state of civil war and struggle, was abandoned and forgotten.

I would never go as far as to say that the attacks of al Qaeda (if in fact the attacks were an act of this group, I have never seen definitive proof) were justified. Religious fanaticism is never a good thing; religion has killed many more people than patriotism. It will do little to good to fight the terrorists of today by bombing the hell out of their countries and killing their families, then setting up a puppet “democracy” that serves only American interests.

Out of the smoke and ashes of these broken countries will rise the next generation of terrorists. Due to the unprecedented level of American involvement in their countries’ governments, we will in turn see unprecedented levels of hatred toward the United States.

We must change our culture of unchecked and out of control consumerism. We must end our neo-colonialism and self-serving foreign policy. It is time for something different. It is time for a change. My feelings can best be summed up by the song “911 for peace” written by Justin Sane of Anti-Flag, “I don’t want to kill, I don’t want to die, we are all human, it’s time to prove it.”

Matthew Gallegos