Authors: Melissa Pester

State Sens. Stan Matsunaka, D-Loveland, and Marilyn Musgrave, R-Fort Morgan, two of the candidates running for the 4th Congressional district seat, appeared together Friday for the first time since their campaigns began.

They attended a forum with the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors NAIFA at the Lincoln Center in Fort Collins.

“We held the forum because we wanted the candidates to speak to our industry specifically,” said Jim Miller, of Colorado Farm Bureau Insurance, who also organized the meeting.

The libertarian candidate, John Volz, was unable to attend the forum.

At the beginning of the meeting, Miller proclaimed NAIFA’s September meeting is always the meeting for legislature – as the group has held forums with a handful of candidates from past elections.

“We are very fortunate to hear from two qualified candidates today,” said Craig Campbell, NAIFA member and moderator for the meeting.

Both candidates were given the opportunity to make an opening statement before Campbell opened the floor to questions from NAIFA members and their guests. Both candidates addressed what they would like to take to congress with them during their opening speeches.

Members of NAIFA addressed questions mostly concerning health insurance in Colorado – and more specifically, what the candidates would do to lower health insurance costs.

“The Republicans are doing their best to unravel things to make it possible for people to buy a basic policy,” Musgrave said. “There are too many ‘Lexus’ policies for insurance that people can’t afford.”

Matsunaka also addressed his ideas for health insurance in his opening speech; calling the issue a complicated one that provides for many ways to attack it.

“One way would be to give incentives at the congressional level to get people to use daily programs like testing the glucose if your family has a history of diabetes,” Matsunaka said.

Other issues like what to do with Colorado’s water, how to better the education in the state and creating more jobs also came up during the meeting.

“I believe the forum went very well,” Miller said.