Authors: Helyna Bledsoe

Ag Day 2002

Helyna Bledsoe

Students and alumni from around the state made the voyage to Hughes Stadium to see old friends, eat food and watch football at the annual Ag Day on Saturday.

“We got here at 11 a.m. to set up for Ag Day and started serving at 4:15 p.m. By about 5:30, all 3,500 tickets for the meal were sold out. They sell out every year,” commented Michael Roll, Ag. Day volunteer. “A lot of people are alumni. It’s a long tradition to come to Ag Day and a bonding thing.”

This is the first year Roll has helped with the event but he hopes to come back next year.

Products from different areas of the agriculture industry such as sheep, beef, swine, dairy and horticulture were showcased on Ag Day. Each guest was provided with a sample of various food and dairy products including lamb, potatoes, barbecue beef, Mexican beans, rolls, barbecue ribs, cartons of milk and ice cream.

John Larson, a freshman agriculture business and soil/crops science major, attended Ag Day when he was younger. He attended this year and plans on attending next year.

“It’s a good way to represent the different sectors of the agriculture industry located in the state but the food is the best part,” Larson said.

“Ag Day is a great way to showcase agriculture,” agreed Stacey Loutzenhiser, former state Future Farmers of America president and sophomore animal science/agriculture business major. This is the second year Loutzenhiser has attended Ag Day.

“The food is good, the people are great and they are Ram fans! Everybody who likes good food would enjoy Ag Day and those involved in Colorado agriculture would enjoy attending because it promotes their way of life,” she said.

Ag Day is more than good food. For one family, Ag Day has been a part of their lives for over 40 years. Darris and Peggy Cumming, CSU alumni, have been attending Ag Day since 1958. The Cummings’ children graduated from CSU and one son attended the event this year with his own family.

“We enjoy seeing all our old friends and coming back to the Fort Collins area. Ag Day is the best CSU event that we attend because we know more people and get to see them,” Darris Cumming said. CSU is a staple for them, they said.

Edited by Shandra Jordan and Colleen Buhrer