Authors: Joshua Pilkington

One could argue there is no better time to play softball in the state of Colorado than in the fall.

To take advantage of Colorado’s fall weather, the CSU softball team will host Montana State at Rams Field at noon on Sunday as part of a double-header.

Though not part of the spring season, fall softball does play a part in how the team’s coaches structure the club, said head coach Mary Yori.

“In the fall, we have the chance to play some games against competition outside of the conference,” Yori said. “It also gives us a chance to take advantage of good weather and get in some innings.”

Furthermore, Yori said the fall season aids the team as a whole by giving the players a chance to play together and get accustomed to one another.

“(The fall season) gives us a chance to see what (the players) can do while playing together,” she said.

Yori added that the games also help the underclassmen develop their game while playing on the field against real competition, as opposed to the simulated competition seen in practice.

“It gives everyone some experience,” she said. “We’ll pull players in and out throughout the game and try to give everyone a couple of innings to play.”

Although the fall season does not count on the team’s spring record, senior Katie Koch said it is still “the real deal.”

“It’s not a scrimmage and it’s not an exhibition,” the starting left fielder said. “I guess you could call it a preseason to the spring.”

Koch added that fall games also give the team a chance to play in front of its home fans.

“We get to experience the excitement of playing at home,” Koch said. “We spend so much time on the road that it’s good to play in front of our fans.”