Authors: Kyle Endres

Fans of alternative and non-mainstream films no longer have to drive to distant cities to view them, thanks to the Cinema Committee of the Association of Student Activities Programming, or CinemaCSU.

CinemaCSU offers a variety of non-traditional and non-mainstream films to CSU students and community members. The movies are shown Friday nights in the Lory Student Center Theatre and cost $2.25 for students and $3.25 for non-students.

“I think (the program) brings a tremendous amount of choice, especially for those of us who don’t always enjoy mainstream films or want to explore alternative films,” said Ksenya Gurshtein, chair for CinemaCSU. “This program helps to integrate the larger Fort Collins community and the students on campus.”

CinemaCSU began in the early 1960s as an independent committee bringing unconventional and diverse films to CSU. It became part of the University Programming Council in the late 1990s and then became a part of ASAP when it formed in 2000.

CinemaCSU offers a variety of classic, documentary, foreign and independent films at CSU. The committee nominates films by category throughout the semester and then votes on one film from each category at the semester’s end. Upcoming films for this semester include “Maelstrom,” “Murder on a Sunday Morning” and “Life and Debt.”

“I think it’s important that some of the films that are rarely seen are brought to the attention of others and that they have a way of viewing these movies,” said Tim Penning, a freshmen political science major and new member of CinemaCSU.

Films are shown most Friday nights during the fall semester at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., with the exception of Friday nights before breaks and the brand-new “Film Matters” series.

The “Film Matters” series is a group of four films that are shown at 7 p.m. on certain Fridays and then are discussed in panels aimed to address important societal and campus issues. Upcoming “Film Matters” films are “Kandahar,” “Butterfly (La Lengua de las Mariposas),” and “The Milagro Beanfield War.”

“It’s thoughtful entertainment,” Gurshtein said. “It’s a great opportunity to learn outside of the classroom; you’re not taking notes and you’re not being tested on the material, but you’re still learning a tremendous amount.”

CinemaCSU has also been working to bring the Denver International Film Festival to Fort Collins in October. The effort, although not finalized, would bring two of the festival’s films to CSU following the festival’s 10-day run in Denver.

“I think that it adds to the community and (gives) the students a chance to view a lot of films that can’t be seen ordinarily in Fort Collins, being that they are mainly independent films,” said committee member Robin Whatley, a senior fine arts major.