Authors: Colleen Buhrer

Things in some classrooms at CSU may appear the same, but some things have changed since last year’s attacks on Sept. 11.

Sept. 11 may now be seen as a day teachers have to plan differently for. Discussions about Sept. 11 will be held in some classes at CSU according to the wishes of the students.

“The class depends on if students want to have a discussion about (Sept. 11),” said Valerie Assetto, associate professor of political science. “If they’re sick of hearing about it we won’t. It is up to (the students).”

In the School of Social Work, some professors are facilitating discussions and reading poems, among other things, said Deborah Valentine, director of the School of Social Work.

The office of the provost has sent e-mails to professors asking them to excuse students from scheduled classes that may conflict with the Sept. 11 events in the plaza at noon, said Stacy Dotson, assistant to the provost.

Professor Martha Stone in the Food Science and Human Nutrition Department is doing just that. She is planning on having her class briefly meet at noon, the scheduled time, to discuss the tragedy and then is excusing any students who want to go to the ceremony.

Some professors in the department of Design and Merchandising are also discussing the events and the aftermath of Sept. 11.

“I will be incorporating the outcomes of Sept 11 into the lecture of DM360 Retailing and AM101 Fashions Industries, ” said Marianne Bickle, associate professor of design and merchandising.

She said she plans to discus how the retailing industries, the economy and the view of other cultures have changed since the attacks. As well as, looking at spending, spending during times of war and how people, instead of consumers, view the American symbols, such as the American flag or the colors of red, white and blue.

Some professors have changed some of the topics they are teaching in their classes. Professors in the Department of Manufacturing Technology and Construction Management are addressing the need for structural integrity in buildings that could be exposed to acts of terrorism. They are also addressing the importance of building codes as it relates to the public’s life, safety, health and welfare, said Larry Grosse, head of the department.

The College of Liberal Arts now offers a freshman seminar covering Sept. 11. The seminar is called Responding to 9-11, LB192.

Dan Hachmeister, a freshman open-option major seeking business, chose to take the class because “It sounded interesting to me. I wanted to go more in-depth.”

The class’ purpose is to provide a better understanding of what took place through reading stories people have written, reading about the events of Sept. 11 and going to events. The class is also preparing speeches to give to children, in order to help them understand the event, Hachmeister said.

For Sept. 11, the students have been given an option to go to several events.

“We can choose what one to go to, but (the professor) strongly urged us to go to a couple events,” Hachmeister said.

At the same time, some professors already covered the topics of terrorism before Sept. 11. Assetto has taught terrorism in her classes since the early 1980s.

“Every country has some form of it, even Canada,” she said. “Its an integral part of politics in any country.”