Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU women’s golf team will begin its season today by hosting the Ram/Ptarmigan Fall Classic.

The Rams won the same tournament last year and will look to repeat when they hit the links today and tomorrow. New coach Angie Hopkins, who was the assistant coach for last year’s Mountain West Conference Champion University of New Mexico, will lead the team.

“We are excited to have Hopkins join our program,” director of athletics for CSU, Jeffrey Hathaway said. “She brings a great deal of knowledge and experience to our program.”

Hopkins has years of experience in the Mountain West Conference as she played for New Mexico from 1995-98, winning two conference titles and making two NCAA Championship appearances.

The Rams have been practicing and are excited for the tournament.

“Practices have been going real well. They all seem like great women, very dedicated and that is what I like,” Hopkins said. “The girls know the course and I think it will be a nice, easy transition to start off the new year.”

Senior Mayumi Motoyama and sophomore 2002 Mountain West Conference Champion Lynette Duran return this season to the Rams and are expected to have a very strong presence in the Mountain West Conference. According to the team, Motoyama is one of the most accomplished golfers in Ram history.

“It is great to have a veteran golfer like Mayumi. I expect a lot of leadership out of her and I think she will get it done,” Hopkins said. “Lynette is coming off a great season, and I know she wants to win more and help us to a team championship.”

The Rams are expected to place well this week and Hopkins is very optimistic about the upcoming fall season.

“I feel we have the talent to win a championship. We just have to get on the right track,” Hopkins said. “Being on a championship team, I know how to get us there. Right now it is just about the little things.”