Authors: Lee Miller

Time on the losing side was short-lived for the Colorado State volleyball team.

They returned to their winning ways Saturday night, defeating conference rival Wyoming 30-15, 30-23, 30-21. The 18th ranked Rams beat the Cowgirls in the first of two meetings this season, pushing the Rams to an early 4-1 record and dropping the Cowgirls to 4-2.

“Our team played very, very well this evening,” said CSU head coach Tom Hilbert. “We had a couple of really bad practices leading into tonight but I should have confidence in these players – they really stepped it up tonight.”

Colorado State took total control of the net, holding the Cowgirls to a .087 hitting percentage and allowing 35 kills. The Rams posted 14 blocks and improved on their serving performance with 10 aces. They also committed fewer errors than in previous matches, with only eight service errors and four blocking errors.

Middle blocker Michelle Knox led the Rams to victory with 12 kills and nine blocks. Freshman outside hitter Dre Downs continued to impress with 11 kills and led the team with four service aces. Sophomore libero Lindsey Kerr kept up her solid role on defense, turning in 12 digs.

Freshman Casey Bauer started her first game as a Ram at outside hitter and contributed with seven kills.

“It was nice to see Casey come in and play in a starting role tonight,” Hilbert said. “She was nervous in the beginning but played well all evening.”

Melissa Dennett also saw her first playing time of the season at middle blocker. Dennett finished the night with her first kill of the season and added a block.

Wyoming got its best play from sophomore Sara Maytorena, finishing with 10 kills and a .400 hitting percentage.

The Rams did take another player off of their active roster this weekend. Freshman middle blocker Mevla Johnson has decided to red-shirt this season after undergoing reconstructive surgery for a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

The Rams ended their home stand in Fort Collins and will face No. 23 Colorado on Tuesday evening. They will travel to Fayetteville, Ark. to compete in the Razorback Classic, where they will face Arkansas, Louisville and Oral Roberts.