Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU men’s golf team will begin its fall season today as it takes part in the third annual Badger Invitational hosted by the University of Wisconsin at Madison.

Players will tee off today at 1 p.m. and play 18 holes a day through Sunday. A total of 15 teams are involved in the competition, many of which are not usually seen by CSU, such as: Georgia State, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Penn State, Washington State, Xavier and Toledo, who won the tournament last year.

“It will be an interesting tournament,” third-year head coach Jamie Bermel said. “There will be some different competition that we don’t normally play. We are mainly going just to play our game and see what we can do.”

There will be five Rams traveling to Madison, including junior Brett Tobyne and senior Tommy Sharpe, who are coming off very successful seasons last year. Most notably, the Rams will get their first look at junior transfer Nolan Martin, who tees off for the first time with CSU.

“Martin had a great summer and set some course records,” Bermel said. “I can’t say enough about his potential, but he is playing in Division I so we will see how it goes.”

Martin along with senior Geoff Nuwash qualified for the U.S. Amateur Championships because of their outstanding play at a tournament in Denver in July.

CSU finished the spring season at No. 23 in the NCAA West Region and had one of its best seasons ever. The Rams set a school record, appearing in their seventh straight NCAA tournament. One of last year’s biggest highlights was the phenomenal play of junior Martin Laird, who was the Mountain West Conference individual champion.

The team expects Laird to have another great season and be one of the team’s leaders.

The tournament will be played in the shotgun format and the top four scores from each school will count toward that school’s final total. Last year the Rams finished 15th at the Badger Invitational.