Authors: Dominic Weilminster

The ideas, influences and feelings that push the artistic thoughts of the CSU art faculty are featured this month in the Hatton gallery.

Opening night saw a host of faculty and students admiring the works of the art department’s talent.

“What we did for this month’s show was display the art of the CSU faculty coupled with objects that influence them artistically,” said gallery coordinator Linny Frickman.

The “Makers/Collectors” exhibition is the first show this academic year for the Hatton gallery; it will run through September 27. Located in the art building, the gallery’s current exhibition displays a diverse array of artistic stylings within a number of different mediums.

“Part of what makes this show so interesting is the diverse faculty in our department,” Frickman said. “It provides for a broad display of, not only many different forms of art, but also many different sources of influence.”

Artists were asked to display, not only an art piece of their own, but also a source of artistic inspiration. Sources of influence varied just as much, if not more, than the art pieces themselves.

Faculty members cite anything from houseplants to family photos, to rubic’s cubes as sources of artistic ideas.

Many artists, such as photography instructor Doug Dertinger, display sources of inspiration that cannot tangibly be related to their art. Rather, they observe their collected objects as sources for feelings of the energy, which drive their artistic influence.

“As a photographer, I am interested intensely in how things interact and how they make and constitute each other in time,” Dertinger said.

Dertinger, who is currently featuring a photo of a cloud over Nova Scotia, is also displaying a curiously formed rock from the ocean as his influence.

“Looking at the rock I have here, does not necessarily relate in any way to the photo I am displaying; it is representative of the feeling I get when I look at things like the cloud in my photo,” Dertinger said. “The feeling of understanding, somewhat, the power which formed this rock is the same feeling which leads me to take photos.”

Other artists find influences in the things surrounding their lives that are otherwise taken for granted or left unnoticed.

Fibers instructor, Tom Lundberg, seeks to denote the importance of our feet as the carriers of our bodies along the journeys of our lives. His exhibit, “change in plans,” is a beautifully embroidered sandal influenced by an old, dilapidated child’s sandal, also featured in the show.

“Feet are important, but lie at the neglected ‘south pole’ of our body,” Lundberg said. “Our culture is so focused on the beauty of the upper body and head that the little soldiers that are our feet are often neglected.”

Lundberg’s artistic homage to the foot is the result of months of work repetitively stitching, “like the repetitive motion of feet stepping and walking.”

Many other artists in the show displayed much more literal sources for inspiration, the most striking of which is probably the bright blue and yellow ‘super modified’ sprint race car displayed as evidence of photography teacher, Gary Huibregtse’s artistic influences from auto racing.

“This car and the subculture around racing is exactly what has resulted in the art that I create,” said Huibregtse who features two photos of the “behind the scenes” world of oval track racing.

Other artists featured this month find influences from comic strips, interesting stories and life experiences, and even household appliances like the bright red stove owned by gallery coordinator Linny Frickman.

“My home is filled with an eclectic collection of objects that I love, but the stove is definitely the center,” said Frickman, an art historian, but still someone who finds influence in the objects she has collected.

Students observing the exhibition were enthralled by, not only the art of the CSU art faculty, but also by the variety of influences that help create the works.

“I am still learning so much about the history and techniques behind art that I don’t have definitive objects of influence yet, but I find it refreshing to see that good art can be personalized and influenced by simple, everyday objects surrounding us, not just by impersonal past works of a few famous artists,” said art student Jackie Polis.