Authors: Becky Waddingham

Becky W.

Bill Clinton hasn’t been president for a while, but don’t tell him that.

The colorful, castigated ex-prez apparently doesn’t enjoy being off the public radar screen. At a fundraiser in West Memphis, Ark. last week, he actually admitted he was a sinner.

“The Republicans basically campaign on ideology and resentment. I mean, they want us to think that they’re good and the rest of us are bad,” he said. “They spent $70 million worth of your money to prove I was a sinner. You could have told them that for free.”

The first step is admitting you have a problem, Billy.

I just love these rumors about him getting a talk show, too.

Our 56-year-old former leader told Larry King the other night that he isn’t considering it as an option for the near future, but he hasn’t ruled it out, either. He says he likes the idea.

“It would be intriguing to me because I like to talk to people,” he said. “I’d like to have (Bob) Dole come on my show and tell me what I did wrong about things.”

Clinton actually met with NBC execs earlier this year to discuss his own show, and when those talks cooled, he spoke to CBS.

The ex-commander in chief said he doesn’t have enough time to do a talk show, which does come with a grueling schedule.

“A lot of the work I do requires me to travel,” he said. “You know, I’m going to Africa later this month. I’m going to India at the end of November. And I really believe I should always spend more than half my time on public service, so I just don’t see how I can do it.”

This speculation is coincidentally timed with the release of “Jerry Springer: Too Hot for TV” on AT&T Broadband Pay-Per-View. I’m not a fan of Jerry, but that ex-politician-turned-brawl-instigator has a fervent following. And those of us who still follow the 42nd president probably couldn’t resist “The Bill Clinton Show.”

He’s more empathetic than Oprah (“I feel your pain”). He’s got more white hair than Donahue. He’s more southern – and more reserved – than Chris Matthews. Heck, he’s blacker than Montel – he does have an office in Harlem, after all.

He could call in psychic medium John Edward to tell us whether or not Hillary will be president in 2004. The effervescent former chief executive could bring in beauty consultants to examine why politicians age so quickly. That segment could have a sidebar about how to fix bad comb-overs, featuring former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Michigan Sen. Carl Levin and Delaware Sen. Joe Biden.

During sweeps week, there could even be a whole emotional series on Washington interns – boy, that would be juicy.

If “Afternoons With Bill” or “Chatting with Clinton” ever became a reality, I’d be among the first to watch it.

Singer won’t be N’space anytime soon

The Russian Space Agency was smart to say “bye bye bye” to aspiring cosmonaut Lance Bass, the dorkiest member of the dorkiest boy band out there. It’s gotta be tearin’ up his heart that he can’t go. A cargo container will now occupy his seat on Soyuz. That’s right, it’s not gonna be him.

It was great public relations for NASA to endorse the trip, which they didn’t do for previous adventurers Dennis Tito and Mark Shuttleworth. But now Lance doesn’t want to pay for his trip, and the Russians said Tuesday that the deal was over. Too bad. I was hoping they would “forget” him on the International Space Station.