Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Every second counts.

The Amber Alert system is in place in 26 states, including Colorado, but this system needs to become national law, something Congress is considering. Congress reconvened this week and Amber alert should become law faster than Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, D-S.D., can finish his first cup of coffee.

Amber Alert basically allows for the media and law enforcement to have better communication with each other and react more quickly when a child abduction occurs, getting the word out to the public more quickly.

By making it national law, it would allow good communication among the 50 states. Plus, with something this important and timely, it is a good idea to have uniformity among all the states.

Time is of the essence because the work done by law enforcement the first few hours following an abduction is incredibly important in determining whether the child is found safe. The Collegian reported yesterday that of all the abductions-turned-murder, most children were killed within three hours of their abduction.

Also, we have seen recent reports showing the success of this system, with 27 children reported coming home safe due to this system in some of the states.

What’s more, a national Amber Alert would cost nothing to taxpayers.

The caveat is that the Amber Alert system must be used for all children who are abducted, and not just high-profile cases the media decide to focus on.

With Amber Alert, the media will need to take on more responsibility in getting information out, as they are key to making the system work.