Letter to the editor

(Whoever: I would run this but I don’t know if it would be appropriate.)

To Collegian Editors

Please do your readers a favor: use the spell-check function of your computer–or even your own common sense “editing” skills–to eliminate future misspellings in your articles and headlines.

I assume you, as fellow students, all have had to pass certain tests to be accepted to CSU, which most likely included some form of written exam.

Use the skills you proved there in your more visible jobs as editors and writers. I can deal with a couple typos a week, but not two blatant errors on one page right next to each other.

Case in point: Sept. 3, page 3 headlines, “Advising requires intinsive training,” and adjacent, “…could help control liter (sic) along Colorado’s high traffic zones.”

These are two obvious oversights — two in a string of many already this semester — that could have been avoided with a little attention to detail.

This is an ongoing problem, and one that should not be taken lightly or shrugged off as “being too picky.”

You, as editors of the campus newspaper, represent the student body to future students, current students, other universities, our state, and our nation as a whole.

By letting stupid mistakes be printed and distributed, you’re lowering our collective place on the academic intelligence scale a notch.

Prove yourselves worthy writers and editors by not allowing these annoying and distracting errors to slip through the cracks.

If you claim to represent the student body and the campus voice, then at least do so with care.

Lacey Wilson, sophomore, English