Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

/Hola estudiantes de Colorado State University!

In November, you will have the opportunity to decide how native Spanish speakers are taught English in our state.

Amendment 31 is designed to eliminate ESL, or English as a second language, so the state can become more consistent in how it teaches English. Other reasons for the proposed law are to cut down spending and make CSAP, or Colorado Student Assessment Program, scores more represent the intelligence of our children by leveling out the language playing field for all students.

The bill would make the students take one year of intensive English classes and eliminate state funding for programs that teach both English and Spanish.

It is a good idea to teach these children English as it is very important for anyone to know English in order to become successful in our country. However, although with good intentions, this proposed law falls short in helping our state’s Spanish-speaking children.

The number of native Spanish-speaking people is growing fast and in certain places, like Los Angeles, San Diego and even part of Denver, it is almost as essential to know Spanish, there, as it is English.

Also, this amendment is ethnocentric and asserts that our English customs and language is superior to all others.

Considering the two points above, we think the state should focus its resources on teaching both Spanish and English to native Spanish-speaking students. Teaching English-speaking students Spanish is also a good idea.

This would allow for cultural exchanges, which may be very important due to the growing number of Spanish-speaking immigrants.