Authors: Spencer Goodfriend

With the arrival of Danny and Julie at Ramfest ’02, around 250 students flocked to the Lory Student Center to hear about the lives of two MTV personalities from “The Real World-New Orleans.”

However, Danny’s flight was delayed, allowing Julie to field questions alone for the first hour. He arrived around 8 p.m. and spoke to students in the Commons for about 30 minutes.

Julie discussed her life and college experience as well as “The Real World.” Julie is currently speaking to colleges and universities throughout the nation. She has some newly acquired spare time, due to her suspension from Brigham Young University.

Julie describes herself as “an ordinary goofball,” but due to her role on MTV’s “The Real World,” Julie is now recognizable by her face and first name alone.

Danny is planning on co-staring in a new gay independent film while also hoping to attend massage and sports therapy school.

MTV has created a new genre of television, which has found numerous spin-offs and imitations, not only on its own channel, but also on many major networks as well.

Seven strangers willing to “stop being polite, and start being real” have landed in a mansion or loft on MTV’s “The Real World,” now in its 11th season.

“Getting to live in whatever nice mansion and getting free trips to exotic places isn’t real, it’s all for show,” said Tim Eldredge, a junior environmental economics major. “They try to make people have altercations or they simply blow things out of proportion to get ratings.”

After the trial-and-error run of the first few seasons, the formula for success and high ratings has been duplicated over and over. Many cast members have used the show to further their career or have landed a job leading to a career because of the show.

Some viewers do not feel the show is an accurate representation of the public.

“All the people (on the show) are, for the most part, college-educated and middle- to upper-class,” said Adam Goers, a junior political science major. “They do have a few minorities on most shows, but it is far from reality. Where are the janitors, where are the potheads, the overweight people?”

Despite criticism of reality-based shows, people say they still tune in.

“People like to see others they can relate to, people with similar interests or problems,” said Vanessa Lowe, a senior business major. “It is completely different from relating to fictional characters in movies or television.”