Authors: Colleen Buhrer, Shandra Jordan

Ram fans attending football games this year had better eat before the game or have some cash on hand. New regulations for Hughes Stadium state that no food, bottles or beverages are allowed in the stadium.

In addition to those items, fans are also not allowed to bring coolers, umbrellas, or most containers. Containers such as soft-sided purses, camera bags, fanny packs, and diaper bags that are smaller that 12 cubic inches are allowed inside the stadium, but they will all be subject to searching before entering the stadium.

These rules are being implemented for safety reasons after Sept. 11, similar to what other stadiums around the nation have done, said Gary Ozzello, the assistant director for athletic media relations.

“We are following the cue from other college and professional organizations throughout the nation after 9-11,” Ozzello said.

Some students don’t fully agree with some of the new rules.

“I can understand glass bottles and containers, but snacks should be fine and water should be fine,” said Shaunteah Delaplane, a freshman zoology major.

She also commented that not being able to bring food would not deter her from going to football games, but she “wouldn’t go as often.”

Food is included as a restriction for safety reasons and because it is hard to draw the line between what is acceptable and what is not, Ozzello said.

“It is hard to say sandwiches are OK, but fruit is not. So we tried to make a blanket rule,” he said.

Another student understands the reasoning but suggests other ways to avoid problems. Jim Thies, a junior construction management major, suggests allowing fans to bring water in bottles with an unbroken seal or having the stadium provide free water.

“I see where they’re coming from and I don’t have a problem with it. If they can make free water readily available, I don’t have a problem with it,” Thies said.

Jeffrey Hathaway, CSU’s athletic director, worked with local law enforcement after Sept. 11 to create new regulations, Ozzello said.

Other regulations that changed involve the “Kids Free” program. In previous years, the first 300 children under 12 years old were admitted for free. Under the new rules, the first 200 children under 10 years old will be admitted for free. Free tickets will be distributed from ticket booth No. 2, beginning two hours before the game on a first-come, first-served basis.

“We are constantly, at the end of the year and throughout, reviewing what we are doing and why,” Ozzello said.

For a complete list of all the rules and regulations, go to www.csurams.com.