Authors: Jeremy Scurlock

As the fall semester begins, students new and old will be bidding for a place in the job market. Whether they are seeking employment on or off campus, one place to begin is room 133 in the Student Services Building.

Janeen Sivon, assistant director of the Office of Financial Aid and Student Employment, said the office offers employers a chance to advertise to CSU students free of charge.

“Historically, the beginning of the school year is our busiest time,” Sivon said. “In the first few weeks, we might post 15 to 20 new jobs a day.”

Sivon added that some of these jobs only remain posted for two or three days before the position is filled. Since the jobs posted change day to day, Sivon said she encourages job seekers to check the listings frequently.

Sivon said in addition to the hard copies posted in the office, student job listings can also be accessed online by registered students via RAMweb accounts.

Jobs posted through Student Employment are grouped into two main categories, work study and student hourly. Sivon said there are far more students employed in Student Hourly positions than in work study positions. Thus, the student hourly positions are filled much faster, but are usually available year-round.

Considerably more students work in hourly jobs than in work study. From July 1, 2001 to June 30 of this year, 5,361 students were employed in hourly positions, while 1,864 students were in work study.

Kim Kennedy, a customer service specialist with Campus Information Services, a student hourly position, said she referred eight students to the Student Employment Office in just two hours Thursday afternoon.

Work study is a federal- and state-funded financial aid program designed to enable students to work and earn money toward their education, Sivon said. Work study is awarded in two categories, financial need and merit-based. Financial need-based work study is awarded after filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and given to those who demonstrate a financial need.

Merit-based work study is divided into funding for Colorado residents and funding for non-resident students. Those awarded merit-based aid commonly work in a job related to their field of study.

Kate Sparks, a senior wildlife biology major, said she was a recipient of the Colorado resident work study award and works off campus with the Colorado Division of Wildlife.

“[The Office of Student Employment] makes finding a job a lot easier than it could be,” Sparks said. “They’re very well organized and helpful. It’s easy to find what you are looking for.”

Junior health promotion major Jill Ferguson said she found her job with the checkout desk at the Morgan Library with the help of the RAMweb student job listings.

“[The listings] are really informative,” Ferguson said. “I applied for a few jobs and was hired pretty quickly. It was painless experience.”

Sivon said she wants student to know that there is many kinds of jobs available on campus, and just because students have not yet applied for work study, it is not too late.

“I encourage any student looking for a job to come to the office and see what is available to them,” she said.