Residence halls overbooked

Authors: Kate Davis

There is a racket coming from the C-wing of Corbett Hall.

“We’re going to turn this into a party room,” said Michael Muransky, a freshmen majoring in history.

Muransky is one of many freshmen this year moving into an oversized, three-person residence hall room that was once a study lounge.

This year the freshmen class is larger than ever. About 4,000 students moved into the residence halls on Thursday.

In preparation for this week, residence hall officials have been busy finding room for new students who were guaranteed a place to live.

On the CSU Housing Web site, www.housing.colostate.edu, it states that all first-year students, without previous college experience under the age of 21, who are single and cannot live with their parents in Fort Collins, are required to live in a residence hall for at least two consecutive semesters.

This requirement can create complications for the housing department as the student population grows.

Muransky and his roommates, Troy Gulberandson, a liberal arts open-option major, and Stephen Escobar, an art major, knew each other from high school. They originally requested rooms next to each other but instead the three of them are sharing a room nearly twice the size of a regular suite room.

With every room full in each residence hall, directors have been looking for alternatives. Closed-off study lounges have become a solution in halls such as Corbett and Allison.

Twenty-three students are also moving into a bed-and-breakfast called the Helmshire and will be staying there throughout the school year.

Currently all double-occupancy rooms are full with two students. As the resident population dwindles later in the school year, more students will be able to request single rooms.

Residence hall officials always expect the freshmen population to decrease as the year continues. This year, residence halls are booked by 102%.

Dave McKelfresh, director of residence life, plans on having room for everyone within the first few months.

“What normally happens on the first day of school is we have about 40-50 no-shows,” he said, referring to students that have a room reserved but don’t show up for classes.

The larger rooms in some halls were built for four students, according to Kevin McCartin, a resident advisor in Corbett. In cases like Muransky and his friends, three is perfect.

“We couldn’t find anyone who’d ever seen one,” said Muransky, referring to the larger room they were offered. They agreed to try it out and are very pleased with the extra space.

“Oftentimes students like the study lounges so much that they renew their contract so they can stay in that room,” McKelfresh said.

Also squeezing into residence halls this year are 700-800 upperclassmen. Usually these students are allowed to request a single room. There are single rooms in Parmelee, Corbett, Braiden and the Towers.

But this year, no one is allowed to live in single rooms until the population decreases.

With the freshmen classes growing by the year, living arrangements are adjusted each semester.