Welcome to college

Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Many of you are beginning a new life.

A life free from parents and other authority figures; a life where you primarily answer to yourself; a life where you control and are responsible for your own actions.

Freedom.

With this freedom you will find yourselves facing new decisions and opportunities. You will have many opportunities to embrace things that have long been denied to you. You can stay out all hours of the night. You will not have any one person always looking over your shoulder and making sure you are doing the right thing.

Enjoy this freedom. For it is a right of passage and will allow you to grow into a well-rounded person. You will hear it often and probably have already: You will learn more outside the classroom than inside.

Go out meet new people and become the person you want to be. That is what college is about.

But college is also about becoming a responsible adult. Stay out as long as you wish, but make sure you do nothing to harm yourselves or others around you.

Be aware of your surroundings and never put yourself in a bad situation.

Remember that Fort Collins is a safe and fun town to live in, but do not be fooled by its appearance.

Remember to lock your doors and keep your windows monitored because, even though one serial sexual assaulter has been caught and jailed for life, there may be others lurking around the corner.

Remember that parties are fun, but also remember that being raped, getting a STD, getting alcohol poisoning and getting into a car with an intoxicated individual could have far-reaching consequences that will affect the rest of your life.

Enjoy your freedom, but remember that with freedom comes responsibility.

“Our View” is the opinion of the Collegian Editorial Board

News Managing Editor, Becky Waddingham

Features Managing Editor, Josh Hardin

Entertainment Editor, Dustyn Connelley

Campus Editor, Shandra Jordan

Assistant Campus Editor, Colleen Buhrer

Opinion Editor, Vincent Adams