Authors: Kyle Endres

Students returning to CSU may see some architectural changes on the campus.

Several changes made to the campus during the summer and continuing this the fall are the relocation of the Transfort Transit Center, a walkway between the Chemistry and Anatomy/Zoology Buildings, the renovation of the Plant Science Building and additions to the Veterinary Teaching Hospital.

The main alteration made at CSU is the relocation of the Transfort Transit Center to the north side of the Lory Student Center. The benefits of the new location are more convenient access to the student center, a larger transit center and quicker routes, said Tommy Moss, Manager of Design and Construction at CSU Facilities Management.

The transit center should be running on the first day of class, but the shelters will not be built until later this semester.

A second campus change is the completion of the walkway between the Chemistry and Anatomy/Zoology Buildings. The walkway includes rooms for instructional labs and has an outside sitting area called “Newton’s Corner.”

The area’s construction also is a step toward making the inner CSU campus a strictly pedestrian area. Cars are no longer able to drive on Pitkin Street near the walkway.

“What we’re trying to do is get to where it’s pedestrian-oriented from the Engineering Building to Lake Street,” Moss said. “Changing from car-oriented to pedestrian-oriented will take some time.”

The Plant Science Building’s renovation is the third major project under way. The plan is to modernize the building by giving it a new look, adding air conditioning and improving the mechanical and electrical components of the building. This construction is scheduled to be finished in December.

Several additions have been made to the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, including the Gail Holmes Equine Orthopaedic Center and a new wing on the James L. Voss Veterinary Teaching Hospital.

The foothills campus has also been improved with the addition of the Atmospheric Science/Cira Research Center, a building used to house NASA-funded satellite projects and relay information to data centers around the world.

Keith Van Eron, a senior art education major, feels the campus changes are good for campus, but there are projects that still need attention.

“It’s neat to see some improvement,” he said. “(But) I’m in the art department and it’d be nice to see some improvements there, considering it’s one of the ugliest buildings on campus.”

The Physical Development Plan Program planned this year’s construction projects. The PDP creates the Ten-Year Physical Development Plan, a yearly list which prioritizes and budgets the university’s capital improvements and major construction.

“A lot of our improvements are behind-the-scenes improvements that students don’t always see, but this year many of the improvements are there for students to see,” said Nancy Hurt, Manager of Planning/Real Estate for CSU Facilities Management. “(In) the last several years, the university has seen a record level of funding.”

The PDP’s project list for next year will be coming out in the fall. There will be a university wide open-comment period in December and January for students and faculty to give input on the list’s contents.

Students concerned that all the campus construction will lessen the number of parking spaces should not worry, Moss said. Over past years, they’ve added parking.

“I think overall there’s been pluses added for student parking,” he said. “There’s more parking this year because we added more than we took away.”