Jul 302002

Authors: David Schneider

The Little Shop of Physics at CSU will be able to enhance its educational television program, Everyday Science, thanks to a $7,200 grant from the Fort Collins Community Foundation.

The program, which is housed in the College of Natural Sciences, was provided the grant from the Foundation’s Growing our Gifts Fund, an annual Fort Collins area giving campaign. The campaign is a joint partnership between the Fort Collins Community Foundation and the Fort Collins Coloradoan to fund local projects in the areas of education, health, human services, community development and the arts.

In addition to the television program, the Little Shop of Physics presents instructional workshops for teachers all over the country and occasionally in other countries. It also is a traveling, hands-on science program sponsored by the physics department at CSU.

“Our main goal is to show children and their families that science is fun, that anyone can do it and you don’t need expensive equipment to get great results.” Said Brian Jones, the director of the Little Shop of Physics and a physics instructor at CSU. “This grant will help the Little Shop introduce more area children to the wonders and excitement of science.”

Undergraduates who also assist in presenting the program to more than 15,000 middle school and grade school students each year throughout Colorado develop the experiments that form the basis of the curriculum.

For more information about the Little Shop of Physics and a sampling of online experiments, visit the website at http://littleshop.physics.colostate.edu or call Jones at (970) 491-5131.