Authors: Special to the Collegian

For the second season in a row, Colorado State University’s women’s golf team will be playing in the NCAA golf tournament.

The Rams received word Monday that Coach Megan Menzel’s team will be one of 21 schools competing in the NCAA Women’s Golf West Regional, hosted by Stanford University.

The regional will take place May 9-11 at the par-72, 6,168-yard Stanford Course. Eight teams and two individuals from each of three regionals will adavnce to the NCAA Championships May 21-24 at the Washington National Golf Club in Auburn, Wash., hosted by the University of Washington.

The Rams enter the regional having finished third in last week’s Mountain West Conference Championships.

Freshman Lynette Duran won the individual title on the par-71, 6,180-yard Meadows Course at the Sunriver Resort.

Duran, who formerly played at Green Mountain High in Lakewood, Colo., took over the individual lead following two rounds of play in the three-day, 54-hole competition. She shot a final-round 74 to finish at three-over-par 216 for the tournament.

Duran’s teammate, Mayumi Motoyama, shot a 224 and finished in ninth place to give coach Megan Menzel’s team two of the top 10 finishers in the tournament.

Colorado State, which was second through two rounds, finished third in the meet by shooting a three-day total of 898, 16 shots behind three-time defending MWC champion New Mexico, which finished at 882.

San Diego State was second, 893. BYU was fourth, 900, UNLV fifth at 905, and Wyoming, sixth at 954.

All five of Colorado State’s players finished among the top 25 individual finishers. Besides Duran and Motoyama, Bridget Johnson and Stephanie Linnell each shot 232 and tied for 18th, while Kristen Campos tied for 22nd, 233. n