The CSU softball team has fallen and cannot get up.

The Rams suffered another sweep Sunday, this time to the UNLV Rebels (7-7 in Mountain West Conference, 27-31 overall), extending the team’s losing streak to seven games while lowering its conference record to 4-11 and overall record to 17-27.

The Rams blew leads in both game one – a 10-4 loss – and game two – a 2-1 loss, which according to head coach Mary Yori, has been the story of the team’s season.

In game one the Rams held a 3-0 lead on the Rebels going into the bottom half of the fifth inning. However, starting pitcher Megan Masser could not hold the lead as she gave up five runs to the Rebels.

After pitching to one batter in the sixth, Masser was relieved by freshman Melanie Mahoney, who failed to stop the bleeding, giving up four runs as the Rebels charged out to a 10-3 lead.

UNLV starter Nicole Truax cut the Rams’ final rally at one run and finished with the victory, allowing four runs on 10 hits while pitching a complete game.

Game two brought a tighter match-up, but the results were the same as the Rams again failed to hold on to the lead late in the game.

Katie Benton, who made her third start of the season after recovering from shoulder surgery, scored the Rams’ lone run in the top of the fifth, giving her team a 1-0 advantage.

That advantage, however, was short lived as the Rebels came back to score runs in the sixth and seventh innings on Masser, who pitched the entire game for the Rams while losing her 11th game of the season.

CSU’s series of losses puts it at the bottom of the conference with four home games remaining before the MWC Tournament May 9-12 in Provo, Utah. n