The CSU women’s tennis team dropped two matches to finish seventh in the Mountain West Championship.

The Rams were swept by No. 2 UNLV in Thursday’s match 4-0 and were nipped by No. 6 Air Force on Friday, 4-3.

The Rams lost their doubles point in straight games against UNLV, and then, after losing the first three singles matches of the day, retired the rest of the matches.

“It was a nice way to start things,” said UNLV coach Kevin Corey. UNLV eventually won the tournament, beating No. 1 San Diego State 4-3 on Saturday.

The Rams played much better on Friday against Air Force. They lost the doubles point 2-1, with freshmen Dasha Zhurin and Alexandra Paganetti winning the No. 3 match.

In singles the Rams got three wins and had the match tied headed into the No. 1 match.

Zhurin defeated Air Force’s Gina Black 7-5, 3-6, 6-4 in the No. 5 match. Senior Bobbe Vasos won her match against Kelli O’Bryant 6-0, 7-6 at No. 4 and Catherine Sullivan beat Heather Shelby 6-2, 6-3 at No. 3.

In the No. 1 match, junior Sanja Hansson fell to Brooke Parsons 7-6(3), 4-6, 6-2.

“I told the girls that they played some great tennis today,” said CSU head coach Jon Messick. “Just like a lot of matches this season, we didn’t get the right bounces to pull it out.”

The Rams finish up seventh in the Mountain West Conference and will lose three seniors. They will bring back Hansson, Paganetti and Zhurin next season and have signed on incoming freshmen. n