The CSU men’s ultimate Frisbee team heads down to the Springs for the annual UPA Southwest Regional Tournament this weekend to face the top 16 teams from the area. Team Hibida goes as the No. 8 seed, which set them up for a Saturday match against the No. 9 Cal Poly San Luis Obispo team.

“It’s going to be great to plays teams from outside of Colorado, especially teams from California that we never get to see,” said team president Josh Tabije. “We’ve got a great change (at taking the tournament). We haven’t peaked as a team yet but if we continue to play well, anything is possible.”

Tabije said Team Hibida will be expecting big things from the promising freshman trio of Adam Zwickle, Nick Petraglia and Brett Kolinek.

MEN’S LACROSSE

The CSU lacrosse team heads to Provo, Utah this weekend for the Rocky Mountain Intercollegiate Lacrosse League tournament. Four teams, including University of Colorado, University of Utah and Brigham Young, make up the field attempting to win the tournament and proceed to the USLIA NationalTournament in St. Louis.

The Rams defeated CU at home earlier this season, but lost to BYU in their Hughes Stadium debut. The first game for CSU will be against CU today if CSU wins, they will play the winner of the Utah-BYU match on Saturday.

“We can’t overlook CU; they have nothing to lose,” said junior goalie Alex Smith. “They have to beat us to get to nationals.”

CSU is also looking for revenge against BYU, a team that handed the Rams a 17-10 defeat back in March.

“It’ll be on their home turf, and they’ll try to outdo us. We’re excited for it,” Smith said. “Win or lose, it will be a springboard to St. Louis.”

The Rams are currently on a five-game winning streak that has improved their overall record to 11-4.

BASEBALL

Seeking a No. 1 seed in the upcoming national tournament, the CSU baseball team has a big weekend with four games against Fort Lewis College. The Rams will play two doubleheaders, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Both series get underway at noon at the CSU field.

The team is currently 16-0 when playing club programs this spring, and the Rams have already locked up a regular season championship in the Rocky Mountain Conference.

“These games are very critical,” said pitcher Scott Musgrave. “The No. 1 seed could come down to the last game so we want to stay undefeated. We just need to keep going through the motions and stay on top of our game.”

The Fort Lewis series begins a stretch of nine games in seven days for the Rams that will test the depth of the pitching staff. The Rams’ top pitchers, freshman Andrew Abell and senior Trevor Brewster, will see limited action this weekend in order to save their arms for next week’s games against league opponent University of Northern Colorado.

The team is also looking to win next week’s non-league game against Trinidad Junior College. Despite their success against club teams, the Rams have struggled against schools with varsity programs.

“We feel like the junior colleges are at the level we’ll see in nationals,” Musgrave said. “We want to step up to that level.”

CYCLING

The regional finals have arrived for the CSU cycling team. The Rams’ road team will travel to the University of Wyoming in Laramie this weekend for the final event of the Rocky Mountain Collegiate Cycling Conference season.

The team is currently ranked second overall behind the University of Colorado and several CSU racers are competing for the top spots in their respective divisions. The competition consists of the road races and a team time trial.

“The hardest part is trying to keep up with CU’s dominance,” said junior cyclist Nat Campbell. “There’s strength in numbers in this sport, but we’ll try to work it out.”

The CSU mountain team will also be competing this weekend at the Fruita Fat Tire Festival in Fruita. n