Men’s basketball picks up

CSU men’s basketball head coach Dale Layer announced Wednesday that Darien Chavis has signed a national letter of intent and will enroll at CSU this fall.

Chavis, a 5-foot-11 point guard, spent last season at Kansas City Community College and will have three years of playing eligibility remaining, starting with the upcoming 2002-2003 season.

“Darien helps us solve a need that we have as point guard,” Layer said. “He is very athletic and extremely quick, and brings great speed to our backcourt. The fact that he has three years of eligibility remaining is a bonus for our program. We’re looking forward to having him be able to push the tempo offensively as well as having been a defender who can pressure an opponent. We’re excited to have him as part of our program.”

Chavis played all 31 games for KCCC this past season and averaged 8.8 points and 3.6 assists per game. He transferred to KCCC following a redshirt year in 2000-2001 at Panola College in Carthage, Texas. Prior to college ball, Chavis played at Carver High School of Engineering and Science in Philadelphia, where he averaged 27 points, 10 assists and five rebounds to earn All-Public and All-City honors. In addition to being a two-year captain as a junior and senior, Chavis was names a Top Five point guard in Philadelphia and Top Eight play in Tri-State area.

Chavis joins his older brother in Division I competition. William Chavis is the starting point guard at Texas Tech, Bobby Knight’s team, which played in the NCAA Tournament last season. Darien claims William is his favorite athlete. n