‘College Fight Night’

Authors: John Holland

You no longer need to take a trip to Vegas or Atlantic City for a good boxing match. It’s coming to Fort Collins Saturday night in the Noahsports 2nd Annual Tournament of Champions.

There are already over 20 fights scheduled in the lightweight, middleweight, heavyweight, kickboxing and women’s divisions along with several other performances and attractions. The fights will feature winners from College Fight Nights in Northern Colorado and Wyoming over the past year and all first- and second-place winners will receive prizes. The fights begin at 8 p.m. at OD’s Sports Event Center (218 Smokey St.) and will last until the last man falls.

College Fight Night is more than just an opportunity for people to get in the ring and duke it out. There are several rules the fighters have to follow, such as no hitting below the waist, no head-butting, and headgear and mouthpieces are required.

“We are trying to make a business out of it,” said Justin Sands, Noahsports director of marketing. “People train hard for our events.”

In addition to the fights, there will be plenty of things to keep spectators busy. Blake “Rage” Cassata from Central Wrestling Organization will be on hand to perform a live demonstration about the world of professional wrestling. The C.W.O. is the springboard to World Wrestling Federation superstardom and “Rage” is looking to move up very soon.

The Noahsports dancers will be performing their championship routine and KISSFM 96.1 will be doing a live remote broadcast throughout the evening.

If wrestling and dancing isn’t for you, the United Studios of Self Defense in Fort Collins will be performing a live sword demonstration and there will also be American Gladiators-style jousting.

No Holds Barred Professional Fighters will be in attendance for autograph signing as well as the Noahsports Hottie-Boom-A-Lotties bikini team in uniform.

Forget about the glitz and glamour that is a Las Vegas boxing match, and don’t worry about paying the money to see it on pay-per-view. Great amateur boxing is right here in Fort Collins.

Doors open at 6 p.m. for V.I.P. and at 7 p.m. for General Admission. General admission tickets are $10, V.I.P. tickets are $20. Tickets can be purchased at OD’s Sports Event Center, Nutrition Company (2020 S. College Ave.) or through Noahsports at noahsportsnews.com or collegefightnight.com. n