Men’s golf ties for first

Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU men’s golf team finished the BYU Cougar Classic in a three-way tie with Brigham Young and the University of Nevada.

The third and final round of the tournament was canceled due to snow and breezy 40-degree temperatures on Saturday.

After ending the first round in fifth place, the Rams came back and carded the best team score in the second round.

Helping lead the Rams to a victory, Sophomore Martin Laird shot four under par and took sixth place. Sophomore Brett Tobyne shot two under, tying for ninth, and junior Tommy Sharpe shot one under and tied for 14th.

All five CSU golfers were placed among the top 33. One shot ahead of No. 10-ranked Fresno State, CSU was one of four teams to shoot below par.

After finishing at seven under par, the Rams will head into the Mountain West Championship April 29-May 1.

The CSU women’s golf team, on the other hand, has all its hopes riding on how it finishes in this week’s Mountain West Conference Championship in Sun River, Ore. The Rams will play 18 holes a day for three days.

“We have been playing more consistently lately and our goal is to play a good three rounds of golf and win,” CSU head coach Megan Menzel said.

The Rams’ most difficult task will be to outplay New Mexico, who not only has won the conference the past two years, but at the moment are 22nd in the nation. n