Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU men’s golf team will tee-off today at the 40th annual PING Cougar Classic hosted by Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.

It is a two-day event in which 15 teams will battle for the tournament crown. The Rams will be facing some tough competition, including No. 10-ranked Fresno State and Mountain West Conference rivals Air Force, BYU, Utah and Wyoming.

If the Rams hit the ball efficiently, they will qualify for the NCAA West Regionals May 17-19 in Albuquerque.

“This is the biggest tournament of the year,” said CSU head coach Jaime Bermel. “(Freshman) David Schultz and (sophomore) Brett Tobyne are playing well and should do good this weekend.”

Sophomore standout Martin Laird agrees that this tournament holds a lot of weight for the remainder of the Rams’ season.

“A lot of teams from our conference will be there and we need to do good if we are going to make it to regionals. We have a young team going out there and we are pretty confident we can play well,” said Laird, who took 12th in the Border Olympics April 5-6.

CSU is coming off a 12th place finish in its last contest. This is the last regular season tournament of the spring and will help them prepare for the Mountain West Conference Championship April 29-May 1. n