Authors: Phil Davidson

Jim Heath, a.k.a. The Reverend Horton Heat, is a man who knows what he likes and is not afraid to say it. His band’s latest album, “Lucky Seven,” exhibits Heath’s insatiable appetite for all things decadent.

“If you listen to the band’s catalog, you might say there are a few recurring themes found in our songs: beer, gin and tonic, whiskey, cocaine, tequila, martinis, marijuana, cigarettes, cars, more beer, pretty women, sermons, cats and dogs, the devil, Texas and Jimbo – All the good things in life,” profoundly waxes the adamant Heath in a recent press release.

Ever since the 1991 release of their debut, “Smoke ‘Em If You Got ‘Em” (Sub Pop), the Reverend Horton Heat has stuck close to its genre-bending style, termed psychobilly – a mixture of surf guitar, country twang and metal edginess. “Lucky Seven” boasts more of this high octane, pedal to the metal fusion.

One of the tracks, “Like A Rocket,” was even chosen as the promotional theme song for this year’s Daytona 500. Heath’s guitar virtuosity, Jimbo Wallace’s bass slapping and drummer Scott Churilla’s manic tempo leave listeners wanting to come up for air.

Ed Stasium, who previously worked with the trio on 1998’s “Space Heater,” produced the album. Now with Artemis Records, this marks the first time the Reverend Horton Heat has worked with a producer more than once. “Loco Gringos Like a Party”, “Suicide Doors” and “You’ve Got a Friend in Jimbo” have Heath singing of the vices he unabashedly relays to his listeners. While The Rev’s albums are truly a sound to behold, it’s the live shows make the band such an attraction.

The Reverend Horton Heat will be playing an all ages show tonight at the Aggie (204 S. College Ave.).

Seeing the band live, as one reviewer put it, is akin to “putting on a stainless steel suit and running full bore into an electric fence.” Heath’s guitar dexterity is a phenomenon that needs to be seen in order to believe. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. with Tiger Army taking the stage, followed by Nashville Pussy. Tickets are available at ABCDs Records (157 N. College Ave.) Call the Aggie at 482-8300 for more details. n