Track, tennis split weekend

Authors: , Lee Miller

Against some of the best competition faced this season, the CSU men and women’s track teams competed in the Mesa Classic Friday and the Sun Angel Classic Saturday, leaving both with awesome results.

“This was the best competition I have ran against in my life,” said freshman sprinter Katrice Thomas, who won the 200-dash in 24.61 and finished second in the 400-meter dash at the Mesa Classic.

At the Mesa Classic, several sprinters, throwers and distance runners place first or second.

“We were using Friday’s meet as a preliminary meet for Saturday,” said assistant coach Tom Flood.

At Saturday’s Sun Angel Classic the Rams continued to perform.

On the women’s side, junior middle-distance runner Mary Ridder placed third in the 800-meter run with at time of 2:07.86, narrowly missing the NCAA provisional qualifying mark of 2:07.50.

Senior Liz Roodell and junior Meg Larson placed second and third, respectively, in the 3,000-meter run.

Sophomore thrower Hannah Metzler surpassed the NCAA provisional qualifying mark in the shot put with a throw of 49 feet, one inch.

On the men’s side, sophomore distance runner Bill Michel finished third in the 3,000 with a time of eight minutes, 15 seconds.

TENNIS

The CSU women’s tennis team finished its conference schedule with losses against Air Force (4-3) and the University of New Mexico (5-2) this weekend in Albuquerque.

The matches diminished the Rams’ hopes of gaining a five or six seed in the upcoming Mountain West Tournament. With losses by Wyoming, the Rams will likely receive the seventh seed.

The Rams dropped all three doubles matches to the Falcons but were able to match up with three wins in singles play.

“We knew that Air Force would be extremely tough in doubles and we played the way we wanted to in singles matches, but it just wasn’t quite enough,” said CSU head coach Jon Messick.

The Rams finish their conference schedule with a 1-6 record and fall to 6-15 overall, and they have one more regular season match against CU in Fort Collins on April 20. Then they travel to Provo, Utah, for the MWC Tournament in April. n