Sophomore Tom Waido was named the Mountain West Conference men’s outdoor track and field athlete of the week Tuesday for the first time in his career.

Waido took first place in the 400-meter hurdles with a personal best time of 52.30 at the Tom Benich Classic at the University of Northern Colorado over the weekend.

Waido also placed second in the 110-meter hurdles with a career best time of 14.46, a time that leads the conference.

The teams travel to Arizona this weekend for the Mesa Community College Classic on Friday and the Sun Angel Classic on Saturday.

TWICE IS NICE

Freshman pitcher Melanie Mahoney was named Mountain West Conference pitcher of the week for the second time this season Tuesday.

The award comes as a result of her sensational performance from the mound in this past week’s three conference games, in which she went 2-1 with a 1.75 ERA and six strikeouts. Mahoney gave up only 15 hits and seven runs in 24 complete innings, in addition to earning a one-hit shutout for a 6-0 win over Brigham Young. Mahoney is now 10-6 on the year with a 1.74 ERA.

The Rams have their home opener on Friday against UNLV, a double header with the first game scheduled for 1:30 p.m.

A DISAPPOINTING DOZEN

The CSU men’s golf team finished No. 12 with a three-round total of 881 at the Border Olympics in Laredo, Texas this past weekend.

Sophomore Martin Laird, the Rams’ top finished, tied at the No. 12 spot after shooting round scores of 73, 70 and 73 on the par-72 course.

The Rams are off until April 19, when they travel to Provo, Utah to take on Brigham Young.

PESKY PIONEERS

The CSU women’s tennis team failed to put away a tenacious University of Denver team, which came back to win, 4-3, Tuesday afternoon in Denver.

In single play, CSU won at the No. 2 with senior Catherine Sullivan, at No. 4 with senior Bobbe Vasos and at the No. 5 seed with freshman Alexandra Paganetti. Sullivan/Vasos earned the only CSU doubles win.

The Rams fall to 6-13 on the year following the non-conference action, while DU improves to 10-6 on the season. CSU next plays this weekend against New Mexico and Air Force in Albuquerque.

ACCLAIM IN ARIZONA

The CSU club women’s green and gold volleyball teams took a trip to Arizona and returned to home as convincing winners.

The green team took the Mountain West Conference Tournament after knocking off the University of Arizona in a four-game final. In addition to the UA team and two CSU teams, two teams from the University of Northern Arizona also participated in the weekend tournament in Flagstaff.

“We wish there was more competition but Arizona gave us some great competition in the finals,” said junior middle hitter Jenny Kaiser, who was named to the All-Tournament team.

In addition to Kaiser, senior setter Carmen Small was named the tournament’s MVP, and senior outside hitter Shauna Metschke and junior middle hitter Nicole Knapmiller were both All-Tournament awardees.

The teams have a week of practice and preparation before heading off to the Collegiate Club National Tournament in Dallas April 18 to 20.

All CSU club sports are encouraged to contact the Collegian sports staff at 491-3656 or collegiansports@hotmail.com with team information and results. n