The CSU women’s tennis team suffered two tough losses, but managed to defeat the hosting team in Laramie, Wyo., over the weekend.

The Rams rebounded for a sparkling 6-1 win over the University of Wyoming on Sunday morning after dropping a very close match to defending Mountain West Champion Brigham Young University on Friday, 5-4, and losing 5-2 to the University of Utah on Saturday afternoon.

“Our kids showed a lot of character (Sunday), bouncing back from a tough loss,” said head coach Jon Messick. “Everyone played hard and closed things out before it could get close.”

The weekend results drop the Rams’ conference record to 1-4 and their overall record to 6-12.

Friday’s match against BYU started out very promising with the Rams taking the day’s first point with a No. 2 doubles win by seniors Amanda Bartz and Bobbe Vasos, 8-6.

The Rams also took three singles matches with junior Sanja Hansson leading the way at No. 1, beating BYU’s Lu Oswald 6-1, 0-6, 6-3. Bartz defeated Lindsey Ferrell 7-6, 6-2 in the No. 2 match, and Vasos won her No. 4 match against Brooke Beverley.

“I told our kids this might be the best loss we’ve ever had,” Messick said. “To play the defending champions that close – and win at No. 1 and No. 2 singles – shows a tremendous effort.”

Two doubles wins on Saturday again put the Rams in position to beat Utah. But the Rams were nearly shut out in singles with Hansson winning the only match against Sheri Esrock 6-1, 7-5.

The Rams players lost four three-set matches in which Bartz, Vasos, senior No. 3 Catherine Sullivan and freshman No. 4 Dasha Zhurin were able to take one set, but weren’t able to finish off the opposition.

“This was a disappointing loss,” Messick said. “Our team played hard and we give credit to Utah who came out and did what they needed to do.”

In doubles play yesterday, the Cowgirls took the No. 1 seed by upsetting the Hansson/Sullivan duo, 8-6. Bartz and Vasos took the No. 2 seed with a convincing 8-2 win, while the Paganetti/Zhurin duo cleaned up with a 8-5 win at No. 3. The Rams earned nearly a perfect round of play in singles competition, taking win at seeds 2-6.

The Rams head down to Denver on Tuesday to make up a match against DU. This match is not part of their conference schedule so Messick and the team are looking forward to matches without conference pressure.

CSU travels to Albuquerque next weekend to play New Mexico and Air Force, matches that will be very important for the Rams in improving their conference record. n