Authors: Lee Miller

The CSU women’s tennis team will begin their Mountain West Conference schedule this weekend with matches against UNLV and San Diego State.

The Rams are coming off their best performances of the season with consecutive wins against Bowling Green State and Cal-State Fullerton. The wins were critical in boosting the team’s confidence heading into the league schedule, improving the Rams’ record to 5-8 after a slow start early in the season.

“Both of these teams will be tough to defeat,” said head coach Jon Messick.

The Rams need to at least split these matches in order to improve their standing in the conference.

“UNLV is one of the better teams we will face in the conference schedule,” Messick said. “We beat them last year, so hopefully we will be able to continue the trend.”

In order to continue that trend, the Rams will need sustained great play from junior Sanja Hansson and senior Bobbe Vasos. Hansson has won seven of her last 10 matches at the No.1seed, and Vasos leads the team with a 15-5 record at No.4.

Also coming off good showings in California are freshmen Dasha Zhurin and Alexandra Paganetti.

“If we can keep the momentum up from the last two matches, we have a good chance at reaching a .500 record within the next week,” Messick said.

The team flew to San Diego Thursday afternoon and will return Sunday night. They have a match against the University of Denver on April 3. n