Local band to play Aggie

Authors: Phil Davidson

Twelve Cents for Marvin will be making an appearance at the Aggie (204 S. College Ave.) Saturday night in preparation of a multi-faceted West coast tour. The band, twice voted by CSU students as Fort Collins’ favorite, is well-known for the energy exuded in its live shows. The seven-piece ensemble’s ability to collate different genres, in addition to their proclivity for jamming, make seeing Twelve Cents for Marvin a crowd-pleasing event.

Joining vocalist/hornblower Tom Werge are: Hilary Spriggs on bass, Nik Levinsky on guitar, Zach Dance on saxophone, Soren Daugaard on drums, Ben Ruston on keyboard and Aaron Spriggs on theramin, a hands-free electronic instrument.

In a band of this size, the songwriting process tends to lean heavily towards collaboration.

“Songwriting for us starts out a couple of different ways,” Werge said. “It begins with either the band jamming on a few interesting chord progressions, or me writing lyrics while I’m sitting in my room at 2:30 in the morning. Every band member’s point of view is taken into account and the lyrics, chord patterns and horn parts evolve into songs.”

While Twelve Cents for Marvin’s previous albums, “Yellow Raincoat” and “King of the Ring,” were entirely self-produced, they are currently negotiating with Nuttsactor 5, the record label of former tourmate Fishbone, for an upcoming album. The album will be recorded in May and is set to be released in October.

“There have been people who have helped us along the way, but we have primarily done everything on our own,” Werge said. “Doing it independently initially made it hard to get started, but now we have learned, through trial and error, how to succeed as musicians.”

Tickets for the show will be $5 at the door. Suburbia’s Finest opens. Contact the Aggie Theater at (970) 407-1322 for more details. n