Authors: Chris Watson

The CSU women’s golf team struggled to finish as was intended at this weekend’s Mountainview Collegiate tournament in Tucson, Ariz., but came up short with a ninth place finish.

The top finisher from the field of 14 schools was Kansas State University, which shot 597, only 21 over par after two rounds of play on the 5,921-yard course. Arizona State followed KSU with a two-day score of 601.

Finishing tied for seventh after scoring a 319 (31 over-par) in the first round, CSU picked it up and played much better in the second round. Shooting a 308 in the second round was an improvement for head coach Megan Menzel’s team, but the Rams still fell two spots in the overall standings.

As has been a staple to the team, junior Mayumi Motoyama placed very well, as did freshman Kristen Campos. Both scored 155 (11 over par) and tied for No. 23. Freshman Lynette Duran finished at No. 34, senior Bridget Johnson at No. 40 and sophomore Stephanie Linnel closed it out for the Rams at No. 51.

CSU’s rival, the University of Colorado, which placed tenth, hosted the tournament. According to CU’s Web site, the Buffaloes’ team car was tampered with and its banner was turned upside down by CSU. Menzel was unavailable for comment on the alleged incident.

This coming weekend the Rams will be heading out to Eugene, Ore. to play in the 2002 Nike/Duck Invitational. n