The CSU women’s softball team knew it was in for some tough competition in Oregon this weekend; the team found out just how tough Saturday.

The Rams opened their double-header by losing 5-2 to Oregon in game one and 4-0 in game two.

Trailing 4-0 in the top of the sixth inning of the first game, the Rams scored two runs to cut the Ducks’ lead in half.

That momentum was short lived, however, as the Ducks managed an insurance run on pitcher Megan Masser (3-5) in the bottom half of the sixth to extend their lead to 5-2.

The Ducks held off the Rams’ threat in the seventh to end the game with a victory.

Junior outfielder Katie Koch led the Rams offensively with three hits in four at bats, but the rest of the team’s offense failed to perform.

In the nightcap the Rams fell victim to Oregon starting pitcher Anissa Meashintubby, who pitched a complete-game shutout, yielding only four hits and one walk while striking out six.

Maren Christensen started the game for the Rams and saw her record fall to 3-6 after the loss.

Christensen had one of her toughest outings of the season as she yielded four runs and nine hits to the Ducks over six innings.

“We knew we would be playing a better caliber team,” head coach Mary Yori said.

The shutout loss is the tenth of the Rams’ season and dropped the team’s record to 12-15.

What little offense the Rams displayed against the Ducks came from sophomore third baseman Ricki Walker, who had two of the Rams’ four hits.

However, the losing trend changed on Sunday as the Rams defeated Oregon in a 2-0 pitcher’s duel.

Freshman starting pitcher Melanie Mahoney raised her record to 7-5 while posting her tenth complete game of the season and her first shutout.

In the third Ricki Walker hit a double down the right field line to score freshman Steph Roberts.

Maren Christensen followed Walker’s double with one of her own, as the Rams took a 2-0 lead.

Those two runs proved to be all Mahoney needed as she want seven innings, giving up six hits and two walks while striking out three.

With the victory CSU raised its record to 13-16, three more wins than last season’s 10. n