Authors: Lee Miller

The CSU women’s tennis team is packing up and heading for California for spring break.

Following a nearly two-week break from competition, the team will fly out early next week, compete in two matches and return on March 17.The girls will face Bowling Green on March 14 and Cal State-Fullerton the following day.

Coach Jon Messick says the break has been a healthy one and is optimistic the team will play well in the upcoming matches.

“We have a better team than Bowling Green, and if we play well, we should be able to beat them,” Messick said. “Cal State-Fullerton is a strong team, but if the girls play the game they’re capable of, it will be a very competitive match.”

The team is coming off of a split in Lincoln, Neb., where the Rams beat Northern Iowa 6-1 and lost to Nebraska by the same score.

The Northern Iowa performance was one of the best of the season, as the women swept all three doubles matches and lost only one singles match, according to Messick.

The team received great performances from junior Sanja Hansson, seniors Catherine Sullivan-Sauvageau and Bobbe Vasos, and freshmen Dasha Zhurin and Alexandra Paganetti.

Though they were beaten by a tough Nebraska team, Messick says the Nebraska trip was definitely a positive experience.

“The win against Northern Iowa is a good sign that we’re close, and we have learned a lot,” Messick said. “The trip will give us a boost in confidence heading into the conference schedule.”

The conference schedule begins on March 30. The team will head out to San Diego to take on UNLV and San Diego State. n