What happened to write-ins?

When we return to campus after a restful and relaxing spring break, the campus will be firmly in the throes of the Associated Students of CSU election. That’s a wonderful time, as many students get down to talking about serious issues while many other students get to work ignoring them.

Such elections are cause for joy, as we get to see a variety of new proposals brought to the campus community for close scrutiny and debate, but there’s one little problem.

There will be no write-in candidates.

Traditionally, students unhappy with the roster of candidates have the option of going outside the campaigns and writing in an individual that they think will do a good job. Sometimes, those write-in candidates end up winning seats in the senate. But not this year, and that’s horrible.

How will students frustrated with their options express that frustration? By choosing not to vote? That seems the only outlet for frazzled students, unless they wish to challenge the entire election results via the ASCSU Supreme Court. That’s just no good. Where’s the democracy?

The reasons for no write-ins are twofold. Firstly, the current elections rules passed by ASCSU do not allow for write-in candidates. That’s an oversight. Also, according to ASCSU Vice President Erik Glenn, Academic Computing and Network Services, the university office working with ASCSU to create the online ballot, is asking that there not be a write-in option this year. They want a year to test out their new technology, and write-ins are too complicated. We understand the election rule issue, but we must protest the technology problem.

Is technical ease more important than student voices? We think not.