Skiers head to nationals

While many CSU students will be heading to warm, sunny locations for spring break, the men’s alpine ski team will head to the frosty White Mountains of New Hampshire for the national competition. After finishing second to Whitman College in the Rocky Mountain Division regional competition, the Rams were selected to compete on the national level.

The team will send its top five racers: juniors J.R. Peacock, Pete Wessling and Pate Wilcox and freshmen Kevin Malone and Kelsey Young, to compete in the slalom and giant slalom.

“We’ve got a pretty strong team, especially in the slalom. We have a lot of depth there,” Peacock said. “We were a little surprised about our placing in regionals, but we’re just going to go out there and ski our best.”

The Rams will leave Saturday and practice at Waterville Valley until the competition begins on Thursday.

“Nationals is an extremely tough competition,” Peacock said. “But who knows what could happen? It’s the first time the ski team has gone this far in like, 20 years.”

Club Baseball

Although the recent weather has essentially stopped the CSU baseball team’s season, the Rams are continuing to practice and prepare for the remainder of their games.

The team has had its last four games canceled, but managed a 4-6 record through its first 10 games. The Rams are 4-0 in the National Club Baseball Association’s Rocky Mountain Division, and the team’s six losses have come at the hands of more competitive junior colleges.

“We’re planning on winning all the league games,” team president Scott Musgrave said. “We want to win the national championship this year; we lost in the semifinals last year. We want to go all the way.”

Despite the snow, the Rams have managed to practice indoors in the South College facility, working out two times a week until they can return to the field.

“The weather is usually a problem for us at this time,” Musgrave said. “We almost always have to cancel about six to eight games every year around this time.”

Club Lacrosse

The top-ranked CSU club lacrosse team will try to stay undefeated this weekend as it travels to the University of California at San Diego to compete in a tournament. The team has gone 3-0 so far this season, but had to cancel its last three games due to the snow.

The Rams will play Stanford today before taking on Sonoma State on Saturday and UCSD on Sunday.

When they return from spring break, the Rams are planning to have their first-ever game at Hughes Stadium against the No. 2 ranked Brigham Young Cougars, who are nipping at the heels of the Rams for the top ranking.

Ski Bums

The Ski Bums will have their fourth trip of the year when they departs for Jackson Hole, Wyo. on Sunday. The Bums call themselves the largest club on campus with 180 members who can take advantage of the all-inclusive trips the club provides.

“It’s great having the ease of not having to drive and also getting big discounts,” club officer Joel Vaughn said. “(Jackson Hole) is awesome; I just hope we’ll have some good snow.”

The club currently has nine members committed to the spring break trip, which includes six days of lodging, four days of skiing and transportation for $360. n