Authors: Chris Watson

The CSU women’s golf team is coming off its best season in school history.

After breaking all the records last year under second year coach Megan Menzel and taking second place in the Mountain West Conference tournament, the Lady Rams are ready to win the league in 2002.

Looking to the leadership of senior Bridget Jones and the stellar 2001 season of Mayumi Motoyama, the Lady Rams have all the ingredients needed to be champions. Motoyama had the lowest scoring average (76.54) in school history – just another element in the team’s victory hopes.

The men’s team is also looking towards a successful 2002 season after finishing third in the MWC tournament two years in a row. Jamie Bermel is headed into his third season as head coach, and will guide returning players Dallas Massey, James Kurtenbach, Martin Laird, Tommy Sharp and Brett Tobyne.

The men are competing at the John A. Burns Intercollegiate Tournament, their first of the season on Feb. 20 to 22 in Honolulu. A strong finish could fuel the team to an exciting 2002 season.

Both teams have an abundance of travel ahead of them, including California, Oregon and Utah. The women will be heading out next for the Bay Area Classic in San Francisco, Calif. on Feb. 25 and 26. After returning from Honolulu, the men’s team will be waiting to go to Santa Barbara, Calif. for the Pacific Coast Intercollegiate Invitational from March 4 to 5.

Both teams practice here in Fort Collins at the local courses of Collindale Golf Course, Fort Collins Country Club and Ptarmigan Country Club in Windsor.

The men’s and women’s teams are looking forward to the 2002 spring season. Both teams have promising freshman for the future, including such names as David Schultz from North Dakota and Dana Wade from Bonanza High School in Nevada, while the women have Kylee King of Bear Creek High School and Trisha Quick from Chatfield High School in Denver.

Each team has hopes of conference championships in 2002 and beyond, which are very real possibilities with the great instruction and upcoming talent recruited by coaches Bermel and Menzel. n