Authors: Lee Miller

It has been a tough season so far for CSU women’s tennis.

With an early schedule that had them on the road for four consecutive weeks, the team will be very happy to take a very deserved rest. During the stretch they traveled to Tulsa, Okla. and Boise, Idaho, and faced nationally ranked teams like Oklahoma State.

The girls did manage to stomp North Texas 6-1 on Sunday in Las Cruces, N.M. and have only three road trips to go before their conference schedule begins against UNLV on March 30.

Though the early season has been disappointing at times, the team looks to the conference schedule as a good opportunity to turn the season around.

“We would like to improve on our fourth place finish from last year,” head coach Jon Messick said. “We also hope to get a nationally ranked win or two to be able to get into the national rankings.”

Meanwhile, Messick said the main thing the team needs to work on is consistency, as individuals and as teammates. With good performances from senior Bobbe Vasos in the No. 4 position and Junior Sanja Hansson in the No. 1 position, the team definitely has the potential to contend in the Mountain West Conference.

“We need to get good results from all of our players on the same day, every day.” Said Messick.

The team is leaving for Lincoln, Neb. today, and will have matches against The University of Northern Iowa and the University of Nebraska. After that they will have a few weeks to recover before they head to California to face Cal State Fullerton on March 23. n