CSU fell into a hole in the first half once again, but unlike last Thursday’s game against UNLV, the Rams were able to crawl back to defeat San Diego State University 69-60 on the road in women’s basketball action.

Of course, the game was a little closer at half then the 16-point halftime deficit the Rams faced in Las Vegas. SDSU led by as much as nine points in the first half, but junior guard Jackie Campbell and sophomore forward Joy Jenkins came off the bench to rally the team with 15 points each.

“We have been waiting for Jackie to light it up from three and she picked a great time to fix her stroke,” CSU head coach Tom Collen said.

No. 17 CSU (20-5 overall, 9-2 Mountain West Conference) expected a struggle against the Aztecs, despite the team’s less than stellar record of 9-14 overall and 1-9 in the conference.

“We always struggle when we play these guys,” Collen said. “It’s always a physical game, and tonight was no different.”

Junior forward Ashley Augspurger showed signs of life at about the same time the rest of her team did. She scored all 12 of her points in the second half.

Her efforts, along with those of the bench, were much needed because senior guard Angie Gorton scored only six points, far from her average of 14 per game. It was the first game in conference that the Rams were able to win without Gorton scoring in double figures.

SDSU was led by its backcourt of Jamey Cox and Claire Swinbank. Each scored 14 points, and Cox helped keep the Aztecs in the game late when star forward Atim Otii was having foul problems.

Otii ended up fouling out, as did two other Aztec players. Her presence was missed inside as CSU out-rebounded the undersized Aztecs 43-28, led by junior forward Lisa Narkiewicz’s eight boards. CSU struggled at the foul line making only 20 of 32 shots, but SDSU fared even worse, going eight of 22 from the charity stripe.

The win marked the seventh straight season that CSU has had at least 20 victories, and also kept the Rams in sole possession of first place in the conference.

CSU will take the week off before traveling to Wyoming on Saturday for the second stint of the Border War. The game will be the last on the road for CSU during the regular season. n