Las Vegas is a city where most go to inevitably lose, but so far the CSU women’s basketball team has beaten the odds, and on Thursday the team hopes to

roll to a lucky number seven.

CSU (19-4, 8-1) has won all six road games against UNLV all-time in the series, and has won three in a row after a 75-65 victory over Brigham Young University on Saturday.

The Rams also won the earlier meeting between the teams in Fort Collins in a close game by the score of 62-57. Junior forward Ashley Augspurger made six three pointers on her way to an 18-point night, and senior guard Angie Gorton had a double-double.

UNLV (18-4, 6-3) is currently in third place tie in the Mountain West Conference with BYU. The Runnin’ Rebels are lead by All-American candidate center Linda Frohlich, who is averaging 22.3 points and 10.8 rebounds on the year. In the first game between the teams, she had 18 points and 12 rebounds. Frohlich is questionable for the game because of an investigation into her eligibility. The investigation is just one of many going on around the country of international players.

Frohlich’s teammate Petra Glaser was declared ineligible for seven games as part of the same investigation.

“At this time we are looking into Linda Frohlich’s competition history while in Germany in to NCAA amateurism regulations.

The question with Ms. Frohlich involves the source of expenses provided to athletes on the team on which she participated,” UNLV athletic director John Robinson said.

If Frohlich were unable to play, it would open up the middle for CSU junior forward Shannon Strecker. Strecker has scored at least 15 points in the last four games, including 19 against BYU. Gorton added 18 points, and leads the team with an average of 14 points a game. Ashley Venekamp scored 12 points for her first conference game in double figures.

“Shannon did an excellent job for us, and Ashley Venekamp was a key for us down the stretch,” head coach Tom Collen said.

UNLV guard Constance Jinks scored 17 points in the first meeting,and will have to carry the extra offensive load if Frohlich can’t play. A CSU win would put them three games ahead of UNLV, and leave New Mexico as thetop challenger for the conference championships. n