CD showcases NIN live show

Authors: Rachel Spannuth

For those of you who missed what Rolling Stone dubbed the “Best Tour of 2000,” the Fragility v2.0 Nine Inch Nails tour, there’s still a way to catch some of the excitement via their new releases.

Trent Reznor, the mastermind behind NIN, joins musicians Robin Finck (guitar, vocals and keyboards), Danny Lohner (bass, guitar and keyboards), Charlie Clouser (keyboards, theremin and vocals) and Jerome Dillon (drums) to create this new CD.

Nine Inch Nails is known for its live show since it first performed in front of a giant audience at Woodstock ’94.

The album, “And All That Could Have Been,” features live versions of Nine Inch Nails’ well-known songs, such as “March of the Pigs,” “Closer,” “Terrible Lie” and “Head Like a Hole.”

Reznor also released a DVD and video of the same title, showing the band’s greatest hits live around the world. In addition, there is also a second CD that is being released. The album, entitled “Still,” contains four songs recorded in a deconstructed manner, the new song “And All That Could Have Been” and four new instrumental songs.

Reznor and his touring band edited the DVD themselves, giving it a personal feel. The editing is such that the focus is on the stage show, not the crowd.

The band recorded 60 performances at eight different camera angles and was thus faced with the huge decisions of piecing the album and video together.

While featuring familiar songs, the album has a different texture than other Nine Inch Nails albums. The live versions of the songs, with the addition of other musicians, gave each song a slightly different twist. There is more of an emphasis on the live show, something that the DVD and video show. The other instrumentalists have a chance to play solos, adding their own personal touches to the songs fans know and love.

What’s next for the elusive Nine Inch Nails? Reznor is very shady, but in an interview with the “Alternative Press,” he alluded to a project he’s keeping very quiet, Tapeworm, and perhaps more from Nine Inch Nails. n