The latest comedy in the trend of movies based on college life opened last week in theaters nationwide. The new movie “Slackers” from Alliance Atlantic Motion Pictures is funny, if a bit weird. In the tradition of classics such as “Animal House,” it is a typical college movie, but with a twist.

Three roommates have proudly scammed their way through the last four years of college, and now, during the final exams, these big-men-on-campus are about to be busted by the most unlikely dude in school.

The three roommates, Dave (Devon Sawa), Sam (Jason Segel) and Jeff (Michael Maronna), run into difficulties when Ethan, a “geek” played by Jason Schwartzman, finds out that the three roommates are running a scam that allows them perfect grades without doing any homework. Ethan blackmails Dave into helping him win the heart of Angela (James King), the most popular girl on campus. But things get worse when Dave finds himself falling for Angela, too. Dave has to choose between being able to scam his way through college and being with his dream girl.

I don’t want to give away anymore of the plot; I’ll just say that Ethan is a sick and twisted individual with a lot of issues. “Slackers” is full of laughs. Some of the scenes are so ridiculously far-fetched that viewers can’t help laughing out loud. Just don’t think too hard about what it was that just happened on the screen, or viewers will find themselves smacking themselves upside their own heads.

I walked out after the movie was over with my eyes still watering from laughing so much. But, on the other hand, the story was utterly ludicrous. With such an unbelievable plot line, I have to say this movie is lacking the necessary ingredients to give it much more than 2.5 stars. Waiting for this one to come out on video might be your best bet. At least that way, you can enjoy it in the comfort of your own home and in the right frame of mind. n