The Black Box’s newest theater production, “The Dining Room,” opened Wednesday and will be running through Sunday.

A.R. Gurney Jr.’s screenplay, “The Dining Room,” focuses not on one single story, but instead, a variety of stories in one single room – the dining room. This play involves 18 different scenes flowing in a reverse chronology, spanning from the present to as far back as 70 years.

“This is not a play about a dining room,” Director Sotirios Livaditis said. “This is not a play about dishes and food; it’s about people.”

Directing his first production, junior Sotirios “Steven” Livaditis chose nine cast members (all CSU students) to fill the roles of the 59 different characters involved in the production.

“He is one of the most professional (directors) that I’ve worked with,” said Travis Risner, a cast member of “The Dining Room.” “He wants our input, too; that’s really refreshing.”

Although this is his directing debut, Livaditis previously acted in six CSU theater productions, and currently practices his upcoming role in “Pirates of Penzance,” the next production showing at the main student theater located in Johnson Hall.

The Black Box Theatre, also located in Johnson Hall, resembles nothing more than a black box with a small stage seating about 75 people.

“It’s a cozy little place…sometimes people are looking for (something) a little more real,” Livaditis said. “It’s not really the most glamorous theatre in America; (it has) a more gritty view.”

Livaditis explained the success of past shows at the Black Box Theatre usually boasts full audiences in attendance.

“Because it is a small space, it will usually sell out,” Livaditis said. “Most of the time you have to turn people away.”

Livaditis, along with his 17 crew members, worked eight-hour days in order to complete six weeks of rehearsal in four weeks time. This dedicated and talented team hopes to compel audiences by simply delivering humanity and all of its imperfections entirely through one set.

“This play is trying to show people the many different levels of the human condition. I can’t be perfect, I can’t do everything right; that’s what I learned from this play,” Livaditis said. “I think it’s important for people to see this.” n