The MSTies Anonymous of Colorado, a group of fans dedicated to the now-defunct program, Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K), will be hosting three events at CSU this spring.

On Feb. 22, the MSTies will present “MST3K Monster II: the Quickening” which will feature Episode #302 “Gamera” and Episode #904 “Werewolf.” On March 29, “Shorts II Attack of the Joe Namath Netted Slingshot Brief” will be shown; this is a collection of all kinds of short MST3K films. The final big show for the semester will be on April 26. This one will be called “MST3K Omega” and will include Episode #512 “Mitchell” and Episode #1013 “Diabolik.”

MST3K, which aired its final episode on August 8, 1999, featured Joel Robinson (later replaced by Mike Nelson), as a man trapped in space with his homemade robots, Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot. The trio is forced to sit in a theater and watch the worst movies ever made, sent to them by their evil captors back on Earth. Robinson and his two cohorts throw insults at the screen with their wry and sarcastic humor that never disappoints the MSTies.

MST3K debuted on UHF channel KTMA TV23 in Minneapolis, Minn., on Thanksgiving Day in 1988. “Turkey Day” has become a sort of a holiday for MSTies with Comedy Central airing 24-36 hour marathons on “Turkey Day” in the past.

MSTies Anonymous is a worldwide, Internet-based fan club of MST3K, founded in September 1995. Co-founder Nathan Heckle, a third year computer science major here at CSU, and MSTies Anonymous Poobah said the group gets together every week and watches episodes of the program. With a turnout of about 40 people a week, there is room for lots of candid and colorful discussion of the members’ most memorable moments and favorite parts of the show.

This now truly international club got its beginnings on the XBAND Video Game Network in the fall of 1995. During a chat after a game of Super Street Fighter II, the XBAND club MSTies Anonymous was born. Even before the club listing was published in XBAND News from the service, there were 17 members. From these humble beginnings, a phenomenon of global proportions has grown. The MSTies Anonymous fan club has over 1,500 members in over a dozen countries from Australia to Aruba, Poland to Taiwan. In Colorado alone, there are over 300 members.

In addition to hosting their events, MSTies hold weekly meetings.

All of the events are free and open to anyone. The weekly meetings are at the Lory Student Center at 7 p.m. Fridays in the Senate Chambers. n